darkness and silence

As mentioned in yesterday’s post, a humble narrator has been spending some time and effort in pursuit of filling in a lack of nocturnal photographs in my library of Newtown Creek shots. While in the midst of this on the Greenpoint Avenue Bridge, just last week, I heard the bells and whistles signaling the approach of a NY & Atlantic freight train.

The thing kind of snuck up on me, as my headphones were actively pumping out a carefully selected playlist of mid-career Motörhead. Lemmy Kilmeister, you must understand, is far louder than any mere locomotive.

These are the sort of “night shots” which I’m trying not to get. High ISO, selectively focused, and overly grainy- all of which was actually unavoidable. Simply put, if you’re “hand holding” the camera and it’s dark, one must open the lens up- losing deep focus- and increase the “ISO sensitivity” of the camera, which introduces grain. Ideally, you’ve got the thing on a tripod, which I didn’t.

My other camera was set up with specialized night gear, but there was no way to get it set it up in time when surprised by the sudden appearance of the train.

Out came my dslr, and with the help of a fortuitously placed hole in the fence of the GPA Bridge, the camera could be steadied and these shots were gained. This is probably not a terribly exciting tale to relate, but every photographer will understand my frustrations. Digital cameras are a technology still in infancy, and the form factor and capabilities of the things are still influenced by the shape and metaphor of older devices which used chemical emulsions (film) for recording.

One is reminded of 1960’s and 70’s televisions built into cabinetry it shared with “hi-fi” stereos, or clock radios. When will we forget the metaphor of a film camera and allow these devices to flower into their own?

1. Great stuff Mitch!

Alan

April 20, 2012 at 12:50 am

2. Mitch, your other camera has “specialized night gear” . . . . ? ? ? Expliquer, S.V.P.

georgetheatheist

April 20, 2012 at 7:09 pm

• I’ve got a magnetic mount on a tripod which was designed for one of those laser spirit levels you see at the hardware store. The base of this thing has six powerful magnets that affix to anything ferrous with a “klonnng” sound. Additionally, the camera had a wire shutter release. Procedure is to “klonnng” to a surface, set the exposure to multiple seconds, and use the shutter release to trigger the camera so as to avoid the vibration of depressing the button.

Mitch Waxman

April 20, 2012 at 10:53 pm

3. Thanks Mitch, although I’m still not to sure what this thing is or looks like. “Klonnng”? If it’s already mounted on a tripod, why not just use your tripod for those long exposures?

georgetheatheist

April 21, 2012 at 3:31 pm

• simply put, the tripod is a “carry” which I don’t always have with me. The automotive requirement is where this figures into the equation. Camera plus tripod is a 15 pound carry, which doesnt sound like much until after the second mile.

Mitch Waxman

April 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm

• 15lbs? Yoicks! There are much lighter weight tripods available. Check out the tripod section at B&H photo the next time your in that neighborhood. Good Luck. PS I use a quick-release mount for the camera and tripod.

georgetheatheist