- photo by Steven McCann
Mitch Waxman was raised in Brooklyn, attended the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan, and worked for many years as a comic book writer and artist. He also worked in advertising production and as a photo retouching specialist for several advertising agencies. He has always had a certain fascination with historical material.
After a health scare several years ago, medical personnel advised him that he should start running to improve his health. Having grown up, as aforementioned, in Brooklyn – Mitch cannot run unless something is chasing him so he began to walk the earth and brought the camera along to keep things interesting. Soon, he found the occluded reality of the Newtown Creek and hasn’t left the place since.
Mitch started the Newtown Pentacle website in 2009 to document his adventures along the Newtown Creek (and in the greater harbor and city beyond). He has served the City of New York as a Parade Marshall three times, has been named the Newtown Creek Alliance’s group historian, is a Steering Committee member of the Working Harbor Committee, and offers regular walking, bus and boat tours of the Newtown Creek Watershed. He resides in Astoria, Queens, with his wife Catherine and their little dog.
His photography and unique point of view have attracted no small amount of attention, and Mitch has appeared in several documentaries about the Creek and is often quoted in news articles about the subject. A book collecting his photos and discoveries- Newtown Creek for the Vulgarly Curious, is available for order at lulu.com, and a second book will be published soon.
Tours and public events
- Parade Marshall, Queensboro Bridge Centennial Parade- City of New York
- Parade Marshall, Manhattan Bridge Centennial Parade- City of New York
- Parade Marshall, Hunters Point Avenue Centennial Parade- City of New York
- Narrator, Hidden Harbor Senior Tours- Working Harbor Committee
- Narrator and producer, Hidden Harbor Newtown Creek boat tours- Working Harbor Committee
- Narrator and producer, Hidden Harbor Walking Tours- Working Harbor Committee
- Official Photographer- Working Harbor Committee
- Narrator and Producer, Walking tours, Atlas Obscura “Obscuraday”
- Narrator and Producer, Walking tours, Open House New York
- Narrator and producer, City of Water Day Newtown Creek boat tours- Metropolitan Waterfront Alliance
- Associate producer and art director, Forgotten-NY walking tours- Forgotten-NY.com
- Magic Lantern show presentation, City of Water Day- Metropolitan Waterfront Alliance
- Magic Lantern show presentation- Greater Astoria Historical Society
- Magic Lantern show presentation- Ridgewood Democratic Club
- Magic Lantern show presentation- New York City DEP Speaker Series
- Producer and Creative, Williamsburg Bridge toll event- Sam Schwartz Engineering
- Member- Newtown Creek CAG
- Observer- Newtown Creek Monitoring Committee
- Writer, photographer- Newtown Pentacle