engulfed in

Stealing the Sky, in today’s post.

Last week, one was headed for Queens Plaza and accordingly marched down Jackson Avenue. The startling rapidity of construction going on in the area claws at my sanity, as in nearly half a century spent in NYC, I’ve never met anyone who said “Man, I really want to live in Queens Plaza.” Queens Plaza? Really?

The shot above is from about a week ago, specifically the morning of the 19th of November in 2016.

The shot above is from June of 2015, and represents approximately the same point of view as the one above – although I was a little further west on Jackson Avenue than I was in the 2016 shot, and the N train is crossing the POV. LIC is one of the few spots in NYC these days where you can produce a “now and then” shot that only covers a 17 month interval.

Woof!

The two furthest buildings are going up on the site of the former West Chemical factory, which is classified as a NYS Brownfield Opportunity Area – meaning there’s a bunch of “yuck” in the ground left over from the age of industry. According to various sources, this construction you’re looking at – in Queens Plaza – will bring something like 1,800 apartments online in the next couple of years, and represents more than a million square feet of development. That’s a lot of toilets flushing into the decrepit Bowery Bay sewer plant, which overflows into Newtown Creek.

Stealing the sky, indeed.

“follow” me on Twitter- @newtownpentacle

Advertisements

Written by Mitch Waxman

November 29, 2016 at 11:00 am

1. You’re right. I never met anyone either who ever wanted to live at Queens Plaza.

georgetheatheist . . . calling the shots

November 29, 2016 at 11:21 am

2. Indeed, most people I know and knew wanted to get the Hell away from QP as quickly as possible.

georgetheatheist . . . calling the shots

November 29, 2016 at 11:22 am

3. I lived a half block off Queens Plaza North on 29th St from 1997-2002, used to play 13 lanes of dodge-car to buy a pack of cigs on the south side of Queens Plaza after midnight. Was a definite no-man’s land, closest grocery was 36th/Washington Ave. Never had better transportation options in my life in NYC.

John

November 29, 2016 at 6:46 pm

4. OK Now they live in the very,very top LIC penthouse apartment with the Manhattan sunset views but they eventually have to leave and transport themselves elsewhere for whatever purpose AND what do they find at their luxury building’s egress? . . . . S-C-U-Z-Z.

georgetheatheist . . . calling the shots