haggard aspect

I’m an idiot, but it’s kind of fun inside my head.

So, last week I was going to some “thing” in Greenpoint, and found myself walking along Meserole Avenue. At 128 Meserole, you’ll notice the 1880’s era church building which was once occupied by the Faith Gospel Church but which, since the 1950’s, has been the HQ of the Pentecostal congregation of the “Church of God.” (as a note, thanks to my pal and Greenpoint historian Geoff Cobb, who filled me in on the identity of the original tenants of 128 Meserole) What caught my eye, in truth, was the lettering on the side of the church van, which I initially read not as “Church of God of Greenpoint” but instead as “Church of, God of Greenpoint.”

This filled me with a sarcastic glee, as I began to contemplate what worship of the God of Greenpoint – or GOG – might entail. I’m sure yoga would be a part of the ceremonial liturgy, and that the priestesses would be devastatingly beautiful hipster women with full sleeve tattoos.

Mr. Cobb informed me that the original 19th century congregation housed here were evangelicals who pursued missionary activities. As mentioned above, the current occupants are Pentecostals. The building sits just outside the Greenpoint Historic District, and the reason that I had to ask Mr. Cobb for his help was that any attempt at discovering the story of the structure quickly resulted in hundreds and hundreds of Real Estate Industrial Complex web pages which reduced 128 Meserole down to mere equity valuations. From the REIC’s POV, the actual worth of any historic cultural institution’s domicile is reduced to mere money, and everything is just a commodity to be bought or sold.

The God of Greenpoint might just be Mammon. Maybe Asmodeus.

There very well might be some pagan deity who could claim the title of “God of Greenpoint,” an elder devil reviled by the Keskachauge who wanders the subterrene caverns beneath the neighborhood seeking a pathway to the surface. The ancestral Lenape culture, which the Keskachauge were a part of, acknowledged spirits both dark and light. The God of Greenpoint… could it be slithering around in deep set tidal and hydrological voids, where centuried petroleum products sit atop the water table, beneath the thick crystalline crust and elluvial underpinnings which support our concretized modernity? If GOG dwells below North Brooklyn, then where is MAGOG?

Who can guess, all there is, that could be buried down there?

“follow” me on Twitter- @newtownpentacle

Advertisements

Written by Mitch Waxman

April 17, 2018 at 11:00 am

1. Speaking of tatoos:

1. They look “low-class”.
    2. The ink fades into non-recognizability.
    3, The skin eventually sags with old age and so does the tatoo.
    4. It’s unhealthy to inject ink into one’s skin.
    5. The tatoo could inadvertently cover up a future skin cancer.

georgetheatheist . . . rue the day

April 17, 2018 at 12:48 pm

• 6) can’t be buried in a Jewish cemetery, unless the tattoo was inked between 1936 and 1946

Mitch Waxman

April 17, 2018 at 12:58 pm

• What, please, is the rationale behind the proscription in #6? Thanks.

PS The reason Macy’s has a red star as it’s corporate logo goes back to R.H. Macy’s having a red star tattoo on his hand when he was a sailor in his youth.

georgetheatheist . . . rue the day

April 17, 2018 at 1:11 pm

• never understood it myself, but there you are. The Frums believe that you’d shouldn’t alter your body from the way God created it (hence the beards) and that tattoos are trafe. There’s probably something about the ink which isn’t kosher either. Next time you’re at BH, ask.

Mitch Waxman

April 17, 2018 at 1:14 pm

2. One need not wait to go to B&H for an answer. Check this one out: 19 tattoo parlors now in Tel Aviv!!!

And tell us more about the devastatingly beautiful hipster women with the full-sleeve tattoos. Any pix from your peregrinations?

georgetheatheist . . . rue the day

April 17, 2018 at 7:07 pm

• I’ll leave that to you, sir. Suffice to say that all that yoga and the juice cleansing does seem to pay off

Mitch Waxman

April 17, 2018 at 10:55 pm

• Those tattooed devastatingly beautiful hipster women: those inked arms at 50-60-70? Yecccch. Am I right or wrong? What’s in their future? Lawsuits? Painful tattoo removal? Suicides? Demand for governmental action?

georgetheatheist . . . rue the day