horrible familiarity

Wednesday

The only times I’m actually happy are when I’m operating the camera. Accordingly, one found himself lingering about on the Koscisuzcko Bridge recently awaiting the occlusion of the burning thermonuclear eye of god itself behind the Manhattan shield wall. I had the whole kit and kaboodle with me for a change, and figured to make good use of the tripod I had been laboriously carrying around.

Funny thing about the new camera is that I really don’t need the tripod that often anymore and only carry it with me when a specific shot that requires it is in mind, such as the first image in today’s post.

Having accomplished my goal of “getting a nice sunset shot of the creek” after hanging around on the Kosciuszcko Bridge for awhile, I broke down the tripod setup and got back to normal handheld shooting. There’s a couple of other shooters I see up there periodically, an older guy who carries a Nikon and a young woman who favors the Sony system. My guess is that they’re both Greenpoint people. I’ve tried to chat about camera stuff briefly with the old guy, but there’s a language barrier we keep running into. The woman always has headphones on, which is a “tell” saying “I don’t want to chat.” Read the room, huh?

At any rate, gear safely stored for carrying, I pointed my toes towards Queens and began scuttling back towards home.

Naturally – thereby – after I had packed everything up and affixed a non zoom lens to the camera, the Greenpoint Avenue Bridge opened up about 3/4 of a mile to the west. Sigh.

More tomorrow at this – your Newtown Pentacle.

“follow” me on Twitter- @newtownpentacle

Buy a book!

In the Shadows at Newtown Creek,” an 88 page softcover 8.5×11 magazine format photo book by Mitch Waxman, is now on sale at blurb.com for $30.

Written by Mitch Waxman

June 2, 2021 at 1:00 pm

1. Re the bridge opening: why didn’t you crop it for us? What ISO were you at?

georgetheatheist . . . snipsnip

June 2, 2021 at 1:58 pm

• Is cropped, so there you go. You can always click on the image and see it’s details at Flickr, but this shot was iso 6400 at f4/1 80th

Mitch Waxman

June 2, 2021 at 2:12 pm

• You hardly cropped it. I meant REALLY cropping it and honing in on the raised 2 roadways. Worried about “noise” at that high ISO?

georgetheatheist . . . snipsnip

June 2, 2021 at 2:24 pm

• Not so much, this was how I chose to do it.

Mitch Waxman

June 2, 2021 at 2:25 pm

• Compositionally the bottom right quadrant is empty and devoid of any import. That’s why I’d go for a much tighter crop to eliminate this space.

georgetheatheist . . . snipsnip

June 3, 2021 at 1:25 am

• Noted, maestro

Mitch Waxman

June 3, 2021 at 1:26 am

• You’re quite welcome. BTW there’s more i could do with this photo to beef it up compositionally. But only if you’re interested. I don’t want to pester you.

georgetheatheist . . . snipsnip

June 3, 2021 at 8:26 am

• I am, actually. Wondering if I want to be up on the K bridge or under it. Fingers crossed for weather.

Mitch Waxman

June 2, 2021 at 3:08 pm

• Up, I would think. You could always discountenance any knowledge of that fuzzy lump of eroded magma beyond the avenues….

ttu

June 2, 2021 at 3:27 pm

• The shield wall protects us from what happens beyond the archipelago, so there’s that.

Mitch Waxman

June 2, 2021 at 3:28 pm

• Well.
        That would explain my difficulty in returning. I had thought as I only moved from one shoreside toxic dump to another it would be easy to eel back in. Port Authority says no.
        Good luck!